ay Pyi Taw has been the capital city of Myanmar since 2005. The city consists of 8 townships and has hosted a number of large scale national events like the South East Asian Games (SEA Games) and a World Economic Forum. Nay Pyi Taw is the city where all the head offices of the Myanmar governmental ministries are located. Most people go to Nay Pyi Taw for their business trips as Nay Pyi Taw has very few places for travellers to visit. However, there is a hidden gem called A Wai Yar Dam Viewpoint located near Nay Pyi Taw we recommend you to visit.
A Wai Yar Dam Viewpoint
A Wai Yar Dam Viewpoint is located on the mountain range (locally called Nat Taung or Kyaww Yoe Taung) southeast of Nay Pyi Taw. It consists of 3 levels. It takes 10 minutes to get to each level and every level has a wooden structure lookout from which the visitors can enjoy the view and take nice photos for Instagram. It also has man-made heart shaped decorations and swings for entertainment. It is worthwhile travelling to the top of the mountain to view the spectacular scenery. The scenery of the Sittaung River and the green farmlands is even more beautiful than is shown in the picture. It takes nearly 30 mins to get to the top level of the mountain from the basement. If you get tired while climbing or hiking you can purchase green coconut juice and cold drinks on the first level of the mountain. For those who want to see the natural beauty of this area, it is a hidden paradise when visiting Nay Pyi Taw.
To Do Around the Viewpoint
- Visit A Wai Yar Dam and swim
- Visit Sin Phyu Taung and Sin Phyu Taung Pagoda which has a group of monkeys. Take bananas to feed them if you are an animal lover.
- Hike (It is worth to get to the top as the view is really breathtaking even though it might be tiring)
- Take photos on each level ( Each level has man-made decoration)
- Play/take the swing at the top of the mountain
How to Get To A Wai Yar Dam Viewpoint
From Nay Pyi Taw Drive on the Yaza Htarni Road drive until you get to the Bawga Thiri Traffic lights. Turn right at the traffic lights and go straight onto the Bypass Road. Then, when you see another set of traffic lights, turn left and continue straight on the Pyinmana Sugar Mill Road. When you see the mountains, you have arrived at A Wai Yar Viewpoint.
Entrance Fee A Wai Yar Dam Viewpoint
Entrance fee for adults is 1,000 ks ($ 0.65 USD) and 500 ks ($ 0.35 USD) for children.
- To visit in the morning and evening as the weather gets too hot at noon.
- To wear lightweight sneakers or slippers as you are going to hike.
- To take water bottle, candies and sweets to fill your body’s sugar level as it is tiring.
- To take back your trash to keep the place clean and sustainable.
- To bring/wear brimmed-hat or sunglasses to protect from the sun.
- Not to wear short skirts and Longyi as it is windy out there ( for ladies).
- Please note there are only restrooms at the entrance at the base of the mountain. If you are going to the restroom, please go when you are at the base of the mountains unless you want to go up and down twice.